Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Monday, November 1, 2010

I love this place!

Can I just tell you how amazing my new area is?!! We have some sweet investigators in this area and they are all really cool. My comp and I teach really well together and he's super good with people and the investigators so I am learning a lot!

This area is actually freaking huge! Last week we didn't even visit like two thirds of it, because we are going to go over there this week. It's about a 20 min. bus ride, and we have to leave at like 10 in the morning to this new area and wont return until nine at night. This area I'm talking about is full of kek´chi people, They would be like native Americans in the US. They speak their own language and are jungle dwellers. My comp told me there are some investigators that don’t even know spanish so he’s going to have to teach them by him self. There are actually a lot of kek´chi people in Peten, but most of them can speak spanish so its ok. In Sayaxche it is seriously straight jungle. Except the houses here are actually better than in the capital because the people actually build the houses so they will last, and in the cap. they are just tin all around. Way out in the jungle they're wood huts with palm tree leaves. Every one has hammocks here :)

So I was talking with some members who told me that my comp and them killed a 9 foot alligator a month ago and my comp got to eat some of it he says its really good. there are allot of alligators in the river so I guess you just need to know how to find them. Or not let them find me :) but get this, me and my comp were contacting by the river and we hear a howler monkey so we run over to where we heard them and sure enough there are like five monkeys just jumping around having a good ol time! haha but those stinkin howler monkeys are so scary sounding! I about pooped my self being up close and seeing them. I was about 20 feet from them. I remember the ones at the PHX zoo had to be held off with a cattle prod from the zoo keepers that were trying to feed them on that little island, so we didn't get to close, scary but so cool!!!!

I sweat so much here that my companion taught me and sweet trick, we take our name plaques and wipe off all the sweat on our faces like a window wiper. It works really good actually.

It turns out that our house has rats we have killed two since I have been here, ha but it's fun to kill them so I don't even care :)

We have some palm trees growing right by our house and they have coconuts on them so when they fall I go and get them and put it in the refrigerator then cut it open with a machete and drink it...might be the best thing I have ever had!

This week we also saw a sweet yellow and black snake and a big turtle in front of our house, don’t worry my comp taught me all the poisonous snakes so I'm good there mom :) but there is so much wild life here I love it!

Attendance at church this week was a little low, a whole..34 people showed up, haha but its because the soccer final game was Sunday so nobody wanted to miss it i guess. but the ward members are actually really sweet and I love all of them, and since its a small branch I got to meet and know every one, I like that much better!

Ok so now i have to tell you about my p-day.

Today We went and explored gigantic caves in my zl´´s area, and they were seriously amazing! like three different times we had to army crawl to get by, its so big you have to have a tour guide so we bought one, and we kinda got lost and took a detour and we start seeing all these bats so we look up, and no lie or exaggeration, about 4000 bats were swirling over our heads, good thing the cave went really high up. It seriously was like the coolest thing I´ve ever seen! oh and you guys remember in Peru in those glass things seeing those bugs that were like half scorpion and half spider and were huge...yeah we saw 5 of those and they were literally as big as my face! took us 3 hours to start and finish the whole thing, those caves were so sweet. I got a lot of cool pictures. we had to get up at 3 in the morning cause they were far away so I’m so tired right now!

Well everything is going great, and I'm lovin life right now :) even tho its like the hottest I have ever . This church is amazing and I don't want to be anywhere else in right now :)

ps. mom and dad in Peten there are amazing ruins, one named Madador, and its suppose to be the biggest temple in the world, but you have to take a helicopter so I wont won’t be able to visit. but when you guys come we have to be able to go ok!?? but yeah I’m supposed to be going to some cool ruins this change. I'll send pictures!

Love Elder Toolson

No comments:

Post a Comment