Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Monday, October 18, 2010

Hello From Guatemala!

President and Sister Torres
Elder Letner

March 2010

Hola from Guatemala!

Let me tell you about my whole week. We get to Guatemala at 9:00 p.m. The president and his wife and the AP elders pick us up in this cool looking bus. They feed us Burger King on the bus then take us to the CCM (Guatemalan MTC) We sleep there for the night. We wake up at 5:00 am the next morning and we get assigned a trainer for the day. my trainer for the day was elder Letner. we go with them all that day and we go tracking and just do regular missionary stuff all day. mind you they told us when we went with them that we could only bring a grocery bag of clothes cause we were sleeping with them that night. so that day was really weird cause i didn’t know if elder Letner was my real comp or not. I had to teach parts of lessons and I met the bishop and I met some cool families and stuff. It was a lot better then I thought it would be. then after that long day we ate spaghetti :) that was a relief for me. then the next day we have to go back and we woke up at 4:00 a.m. because we had to take a dumb bus all the way back to the presidents house. We get to the presidents house and there are l24 of us. Sister Torres made taco salad stuff and that was really good, then she gave a big talk about safety and what to do and not to do. President Torres spoke to us about some missionary stuff and who our new companions were, and yes, I am with elder Letner. We were the only ones who stayed together.

Get this, elder Letner is actually from Arizona. In fact, he is from Higley! i think that’s why we stayed together or maybe because he’s only about 5 feet 6 inches and about 120, he is pretty small. Maybe I need to look big beside him. Haha. He is a pretty cool kid but we are like complete opposites, he likes video games and has a weird sense of humor and I’m pretty sure we don’t get each other. It’s all good though because he might think I’m weird too J I’m just so glad I didn’t get some tool. Letner went to Higley high but he didn’t know any one that I knew.. so the rest of the week went pretty well. the days went really fast except Saturday. That day was horrible because seriously, all of our lessons fell through and so we just contacted people for 5 hours. it sucked. On the bright side there is this family who I really like, named the Chigue family and they sell donuts so every time we go over there they give us like 4 donuts! I love it :) the language is bad for me or I’m so bad at it and it really bothers me here. Since my companion is a gringo he always talks to me in English so I never speak spanish except sometimes during lessons and contacting which is a problem because I don’t know much enough Spanish except my testimony,. Anyway, this week my goal is to speak as much spanish as I can, in lessons and everything, every one tells me that your 2nd companion is always Latin, so i don’t want some Latin elder taking advantage. So hopefully the language gets better. Over all this week has been pretty fun.

I’m not going to lie. We have some strange rules here like: no playing basketball or soccer (instead we actually we play dodge ball). no drinking coke or pepsi...and thats like all the Guatemalans drink here, and constantly offer us. Other missions they say that is what kills the parasites. Oh well. We no longer have cooks so we have to cook all our own meals, and we have less money then usual. yeah I’m kinda bugged, but I’ll get over it easy enough. So far every night we have spaghetti haha dad would love it, I got really lucky and live with 2 other companionships so we have a big nice house..for Guatemala at least. I like all the people in my house, they are really funny. The zone leaders are way tight, one of them elder Lopez is a like a really good cook and he cooks our food sometimes and he’s amazing.

Oh and next time you send me a package some of the stuff I want is candy like starburst sour patch kids and gushers and other stuff and haha peanut butter! well family I love you so much and I really didn’t think I would ever miss you this much, ha my eyes are getting all teary right now just thinking about all you. haha only 22 months left right!? and dad i have been using your saying "today is the best day of my life" it has helped a lot cause it is hard out here. Well just know that all is fine with me Sorry, I’m pretty sure I’m missing a lot of details.

I love and miss you guys so much!!!!!

Love Elder Toolson

No comments:

Post a Comment