Guatemala City North Mission

Guatemala City North Mission

Monday, October 25, 2010

No busses due to major flooding during hurricane.

OOPS No Buss for You!

What’s up friends and familia?!

This week as you probably know, was way crazy here in Guat! Let me start off by saying this entire week I saw the sun once. It was cloudy, windy and rainy all week.

On Thursday night it was about eight thirty at night, the companion and I were heading home from our last lesson and it starts to rain, and I look at my companion and I'm like "dang this rain is really dirty"...then it keeps getting dirtier and thicker so it finally dawns on me, freak, this isn't rain, it's ash! so we just start sprinting home . It starts raining ash harder and harder and it's making our clothes all black.

We get home and call the Bishop because this just isn't normal! He said a volcano exploded and it is pretty bad, our entire city got covered in it, but not too much lava rock hail like other cities, because luckily my city is pretty far from the volcano. So the next day the whole area was completely blanketed by ash, it looked like it does when it snows except it's a few inches of black, and not so cold!. So all morning we went around asking people if we could help them clean, and let me tell you guys what, ash is not the easiest thing to clean. a little while later 4 other members asked for our help so almost like the whole day we did service. I sure wish I had gloves! I have like 5 blisters on my hands from using a dang broom all day!

The next day it rained ALL day and I was thinking that dang I haven’t seen the sun in so long! On Saturday, no joke the rain did not stop again, it continued to rain harder than the day before, and it wasn’t like a little rain it was pretty dang solid hard. so we knew today is going to be hard doing out tracting because the rain is getting harder and its really windy. I'm not lying when I say that I have never been so wet in my entire life! I was walking up these hills and no lie the water was hitting my shoes and splashing up to my belt! the water was totally over the tops of my feet as we walked. My companion and I just looked at each other smiled and said ´oh the blessings of the mission´ and just kept walking… oh and on top of it, it was the coldest I have been so far, cause usually it doesn’t get cold when it rains. By the time we got home we were soaked from head to toe..literally. I kept seeing the video Sean and Ryan sent of the rain.. of course they sent the video form inside a nice cozy room! hahaha and when I got home I called another group of elders and they were like," dude we are in the middle of a hurricane so we didn’t even work today cause the rain was so crazy!" haha

But dont worry, our hard work paid off, because we worked through the rain and every thing so we got 6 new investigators!, so other then the ridiculous rain it was a great day:)

That night we get a call from the zone leaders and they said that we aren’t suppose to work tomorrow on Sunday and that church is canceled in all of Guatemala because the hurricane is supposed to hit, haha me and my comp had no clue about the hurricane until that night! so I was like freaking out a little because guat isn’t the best built country, and if the rain and wind we had already seen was going to be worse, oh man, we were in trouble! I was so afraid that so many of the houses here would seriously destroyed.

On Sunday we wake up in the morning and I see light in my room, and I am thinking what the heck?!?, I haven’t seen that kind of sun in a while, and I look out side and its a sun shiny beautiful day! . which is so weird because the area president canceled all church in all of Guatemala. No missionary could work, even though it was like the best day of the week by far! oh well, I'm not sure what happened about the hurricane, no one here gets the news paper, so we only go on what we hear from people on the streets. I do know that because of all the rain, a lot of peoples houses were flooded or there walls caved in and stuff. We ended up on Sunday doing service all day long.

THEN, this morning me and my comp go to get on a bus to go do our shopping and there are no buses to be found, which in Guatemala is very rare! so we walk like a mile down this road and we see a bunch of people and policemen so we go over to where they are and the ONLY street that leads out of our little city had fallen down and was washed away by the water...so no cars could come in and no cars could go out! so we had to just sit here all day go shopping at all the little tiendas here, (the little shops in peoples houses) so that wasn’t the coolest thing ever, haha these past couple of days have been a real treat :)

oh , now let me tell you about my little miracle that happened on Wednesday. so my comp was making french fries. He was chopping up potatoes and putting them in a pan full of hot oil. I was pretty cold and the house was really cold so I put my hand over the hot oil pan..pan to heat up you know, but not too close cause I didn’t want the oil to splatter on me and burn me, so I was just chilllin, I mean heating up one of my hands and then all of a sudden a potato explodes and boiling hot oil just explodes up out of the pan and it covers my hand in oil! I totally freak out cause I'm thinking I'm about to have third degree burn and stuff all over my hand, so i rush over to my sink and run my hand under the water and I'm like waiting for the pain to just hit me like a brick. after about 5 seconds later Im like...Where's the pain, oh this is bad, I must have burned it so bad there is no nerve cells so there's no pain, and I look at my hand and seriously nothing was wrong with, it didn’t even feel hot or burn or anything, and my comp comes running over looked at me and was like are you ok, and I showed him my hand he was like ´"dang man how are you not burnt right now?"´ so I dont know what happened there other then my own little miracle becuase, that oil was hot as it could of possibly have been and it did nothing to my hand.

so yeah this week has been really crazy.. and great and crazy.

I’m so glad to hear that dad and Chase’s talk went really well, so wish I could have been there! Chad, you and Dyl should have spoke, (Monstars rule!) You both need more practice before you come out here! I gotta say I'll take Guat over AZ for the next two years.. you should too! hahaha no serioiusly, let me know what I have to say or do to help cuz i'm kind of a retard when it comes to motivation. I know you feel it from me too, always have. The love is here in the service, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I am seeing some crazy shiz I'm not going to lie, it's not easy, but it's so cool. Love you like bro's i love my mission and Im so glad that I have the opportunity to serve the lord in Guatemala! I love you guys so much and pray for you every day, hope all is well and all are safe, love you !

Love, Elder Toolson

No comments:

Post a Comment